International Agreement of Indexing Societies
Agreed at Shanghai, October 2018
Agreement between the Society of Indexers, the American Society for Indexing, the Indexing Society of Canada/Société canadienne d’indexation, the Australian and New Zealand Society of Indexers, the Association of Southern African Indexers and Bibliographers, and the China Society of Indexing and Database Management (1999, amended 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015).
All mention of Societies refers to the Societies listed in Schedule A. All mention of Associate groups or networks refers to those listed in Schedule B. Procedural practices regarding The Indexer, reciprocal rights among the Societies and Associate groups or networks, the Triennial International Meetings, interim international meetings, and the International Coordinator are set out in Schedules C, D, and E.
- This agreement between the Societies promotes the aims and objectives of the Societies and their members, and supersedes all previous affiliation agreements between the Societies.
- The category of ‘Associate’ status will enable groups and networks that have not formed formal Societies to receive The Indexer at the preferential rate enjoyed by the indexing Societies.
- Members of each society will enjoy the right to attend in person national-level meetings and conferences of the other Societies and to purchase publications at the members’ rate. Rate charged for local/chapter meetings is at the discretion of the organising body. Members will not have reciprocal rights to vote or hold office.
- Each Society and Associate group or network may accept membership applications from individuals outside their own area but will refrain from actively seeking members in areas covered by other Societies.
- Each Society and Associate group or network agrees to appoint an international liaison person to represent its interests on matters of international import, and to maintain open communication with the other Societies and Associates.
- Each Society may offer a free registration for their annual conference to an authorized representative from each of the other Societies.
- A review of the International Agreement will take place every third year at a Triennial International Meeting, which will take place at the annual conference of one of the Societies.
- The host of the Triennial International Meeting may offer a free registration to an authorized representative from each of the other Societies and each of the Associate groups or networks.
- The member newsletter of each Society and Associate group or network will be made available to governing bodies of all the sister Societies and Associate groups or networks, and these bodies may make the newsletters available to their members.
- The [British] Society of Indexers will be responsible for the management and publication of The Indexer on behalf of all the Societies and Associates. The Indexer will remain the property of the [British] Society of Indexers.
- The appointment of the editor(s) of The Indexer will remain the responsibility of the [British] Society of Indexers.
- The editor(s) of The Indexer will maintain the right to accept or reject contributions from whatever source, at their discretion.
- Each Society and Associate group or network will have the right to one free advertisement in each issue of The Indexer. Likewise, The Indexer will have the right to a free advertisement in the newsletters of other Societies and Associate groups or networks.
- Each Society and Associate group or network will be entitled, subject to the availability of space, to one free advertisement per issue in the newsletters of other Societies and Associate groups or networks.
- Any Society may withdraw from the agreement on giving 12 months’ notice to the other Societies.
- This agreement will come into effect on its ratification by the respective Societies, according to their constitutional procedures. It does not depend upon approval of the groups or networks holding Associate status.
Schedule A: Societies
- American Society for Indexing (ASI)
- Association of Freelance Editors, Proofreaders and Indexers of Ireland (AFEPI Ireland)
- Association of Southern African Indexers and Bibliographers (ASAIB)
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Indexers (ANZSI)
- China Society of Indexing and Database Management (CSIDM)
- Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation (ISC/SCI)
- Society of Indexers (referred to above as the [British] Society of Indexers) (SI)
Schedule B: Associate Groups or Networks
- Deutsches Netzwerk der Indexer/German Indexing Network (DNI)
- Nederlands Indexers Netwerk/Netherlands Indexing Network (NIN)
Schedule C: Procedures Relating to The Indexer
- The Indexer Editorial Board is appointed and chaired by the editor(s) of The Indexer. ICRIS may nominate a representative to serve on the Editorial Board (subject to appointment by the Editor) in order to provide a mechanism whereby all the participating Societies and Associate groups or networks are able to make an effective contribution to the development and implementation of policy relating to The Indexer.
- Each Society and Associate group or network will make The Indexer available to its members according to its own rules and procedures.
- The Indexer subscription rate for members of the Societies and Associate groups or networks will be fixed by the [British] Society of Indexers and will be at a lower rate than the general subscription rate. Societies and Associate groups or networks will be notified of price changes as far in advance as possible.
Schedule D: Procedures Relating to Reciprocal Rights
- Services specific to a Society, such as certification and registers of indexers, are not included in reciprocal rights.
- The Special Interest Groups (SIGs) affiliated with the American Society for Indexing are open to members of other Societies and Associate groups or networks; any SIG member may vote on matters brought up in the specific SIG of which they are a member, but only ASI members may hold leadership positions in a SIG.
- Online newsletters that are free to members will be made available to the governing bodies of each Society or Associate group or network through the international liaisons. The governing bodies may make the newsletters accessible to members of their Society or Associate group or network.
- The Indexer and Key Words (ASI) are not part of this reciprocal arrangement. China Index (CSI) is freely available online.
Schedule E: The Triennial International Meeting, the International Coordinator, and the International Committee of Representatives of Indexing Societies (ICRIS)
- Each Triennial International Meeting will confirm the host for the next meeting.
- Each Triennial International Meeting will appoint an International Coordinator to serve for a term of three years (from one Triennial meeting until the next); the appointment may be renewed for one additional term.
- The International Coordinator will be responsible for drafting the agenda for the upcoming Triennial International Meeting and maintaining contact among the Societies and Associate groups or networks (primarily through ICRIS) about amendments to the International Agreement and other issues that may arise.
- Between Triennial International Meetings, the International Coordinator, working in conjunction with international liaisons from other Societies or Associate groups or networks, may organize interim international meetings at intervening Society conferences. All international representatives attending the conference, as well as participants with responsibility for The Indexer, will be invited to attend. Other individuals may be invited at the discretion of the International Coordinator or the ICRIS member who is chairing the meeting. No decision will be taken. Minutes will be distributed to ICRIS members.